Friday, September 18, 2015

Wireless comms in Oil & Gas -- why not wireless

The Network Engineer in me is all in favour of wireless. One application this article missed is Subsea Oil&Gas where the rover at deployment phase, or maintenance, needs to connect locally to the equipment.

In the ocean, this is not easy trick. There are many reasons but two stand out: you just do not plug in an ethernet cable and, if wireless, you need to use acoustic comms which have very limited bandwidth at just 1 metre away.

So wireless feels just like magic.

Problem is the Cyber Security Engineer in me does not feel comfortable with wireless at a plan. Do I need to explain why?

Whereas in the ocean it is easier to close my eyes (fish is not the typically hacker or disgruntled employee), on the Topside, like Master Control Stations or at Business Networks, Wireless should really be avoided at all costs.

Do I really need to explain why?


No comments:

Post a Comment